10 Tips for Seniors; Stay Happy, Healthy and Strong
1. Eat healthy. We have all heard it. “Eating a balanced diet is the key to eating healthy.” It’s true!
2. Keep Moving. If you find yourself sitting for hours on end, you must get up. For every hour you sit, get up and walk around or stretch, but get out of the chair! Exercising at least 3 times a week or 30 minutes a day, helps promote a healthy and stronger heart and improves muscle tone. Exercise gives you energy and can help relieve stress.
3. Manage your stress. We all have stress in our lives from time to time and at different levels. It is very important to learn to manage your stress level because stress does make you age faster. You must take control and handle your stress. If you need help or are having trouble with this, talk to your family, friends, doctors or other support groups. Do not ever feel like you are the only one having to deal with stress.
4. Sleep. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Getting a good night’s sleep helps boost your immune system. We have heard for years that people need an average of 8 hours of sleep a night. Sleep helps keep your body healthy and strong.
5. Drink lots of water. The body not only needs water to digest and absorb vitamins and minerals, but water helps remove toxins and waste from our bodies. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day helps promote healthy skin which makes us look and feel younger. No calories, either!
6. Have regular checkups with your doctor. See your doctor at least once a year for a physical exam. Just because you are not feeling any different or experiencing and problems does not mean you are still in great shape. Be proactive about your health; having a preventive check-up could save your life.
7. Get involved. Getting involved in your community or neighborhood is a good way to stay active and productive. Doing volunteer work, baking goods for a bake sale, teaching a craft are just some ways you can get involved with you neighbors. Not only is it a great way to meet new friends, it can be a very rewarding experience.
8. Smile and laugh. Smiling and laughing is good for everyone and has many health benefits such as boosting the immune system, reducing stress and improving the blood flow in your body, plus it’s fun! We have all heard the saying “Laughter is the best medicine.”
9. Spend quality time with people you care about. Staying connected with your family and friends is so important and can help you live a longer, healthier life and make you a much happier person. This will also protect you from loneliness, which can lead to depression. As we get older, it is very nice to know you have someone you can call anytime, especially when you most need them.
10. Be positive. Try to have a positive outlook on life. It will help you be more relaxed and reduce your stress. Having a positive attitude makes you a happier person and keeps you young.